By default IP Widget does not transmit any data to the internet.
If you enable features like external ip address, hostname, city or country, the widget will make a request to an external web server to retrieve these information (https://dieter-thiess.de/ip3.php and several mirrors to reduce the server load – mirror Is chosen randomly at each request). These requests do not contain any personal information. In the user-agent field of the request the app version, Android version and device language are included. This might be used for internal statistics about the spread of different app versions in the future for better planning of new features and support for older Android versions. At the moment this data is not processed or saved. Access log files at the server are rotated weekly and will be deleted after 4 weeks. No data will be stored on the external web server.
Location permission (ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION, ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION, BACKGROUND_LOCATON) are used for displaying information at are not transmitted at any time.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: required on pre Android 6 devices to get information about mobile connection speed and signal strength. On devices with Android 6 and newer, this permission is needed to determine if the device is a dual sim device and show information about mobile connection speed and signal strength.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: only required if writing log file is activated. The log file will be written in /sdcard/ipwidget.log and stores all connection information as configured in the widget. This file is only stored on the device and can be sent by mail by the user.
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: needed for Android 6 and newer to show the wifi channel. Also location services need to be enabled to retrieve the wifi channel and frequency.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: needed for Android 10 and newer to show the wifi channel. Also location services need to be enabled to retrieve the wifi channel and frequency.
- BACKGROUND_LOCATON: get location while app is not running. This is needed on devices with Android 10 and newer to prevent displaying <Unknown SSID> instead of SSID
- WRITE_SETTINGS: required to toggle wifi or wifi tethering.
If there are questions about IP Widget and the permissions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org